Ghazali Abd Rahman, Profesor Datuk Dr, Retiree (Dated May 2007)

Dean, Faculty of Science, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Pantai Bharu, Kuala Lumpur. (Dated 1971 June)

1975 in Ellesmere Ave, Salford, England. A VC who was more than willing to put up for the night (instead of in the Piccadilly Hotel) with his students/tutors.

Prof Mohd Ghazali, our NC (Acting) in UKM, visited Salford on Mar 10 Wed, perhaps, a return visit under IUC. Prof Phillips, the host, asked me to arrange all his transportation, fetching at Piccadilly in late morning, a lunch in the Union House with all Malaysia Prof Phillips could gather, and off to Wales with Prof Phillips; fetching again at Victoria the next day to spend the whole day through the night with mostly UKM-grads in Jamal's flat, Ellesmere Ave (Dr Md Nor, Mcr, and Hassan, Lon, were accompanying); took him to Salford again the next day for a meeting and from there 'disappeared' to New Castle Upon Tyne, which we knew only the next day Mar 13 Thu when we phoned En Mokhtar Bidin.

Saturday, May 19, 2007, visiting the ailing Prof Ghazali at his home, 11A, 2/6G, USJ. Accompanying Dr Md Soot Ahmad, and Dr Zaini Hamzah, et al.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Quoting from a source in the air, In passing of Dr. G....

"... Datuk Dr Ghazali Abdul Rahman, known as Dr. G by some friends, has always been passionate about his religion and Science subject, even though he was sick for quite some time. His death this morning brought over people who know him in the state of shock and sorrow. He was born Mohamad Ghazali Haji Abdul Rahman in 16th May 1938. He received his BSc and PhD from Australia. Started his career as a lecturer in Biochemistry at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya from 1967 to 1970, he is one of the prime mover for the establishment of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. In 1970 he moved to Univeristi Kebangsaan Malaysia as a Dean of Science. Subsequently, he was appointed as the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs of the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia from 1975 to 1978 and as Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic and Administration from 1978 - 1982. He received his Professorship from the UKM in 1974. One of his great contributions to the higher education system of Malaysia was the establishment of the first Matriculation Program at UKM in 1974. In April 1982, he was appointed as the Director of Tun Ismail Atomic Research Centre (PUSPATI). A year later when PUSPATI was put under the Prime Minister Department and changed name to the Nuclear Energy Unit (NEU), he continued to head the NEU and became the first Director General from June 1983 to May 1993. He was the third and longest serving (1982 - 1993) Director General of the Malaysian Institute for Nuclear Technology Research which was then known as NEU. He was involved in many professional activities, councils and committees at national, regional and international levels. He was the appointed Chairman of the Atomic Energy Licensing Board, fellow of the Malaysian Institute of Chemistry, fellow of the Malaysian Scientific Association. He participated in the American Council on Education Academic Administration Internship Program in USA in 1976/77 and attended the Stanford Executive Program 1990, Stanford University, USA. He received several awards such as PGDK, JMN, KMN and DSN for his contributions and services to the government. (Mint website) He was also a Nazir (chairman) of Masjid Almukminun USJ 2 for some years before his death. Even after his retirement days, he would always give some lectures in Masjid Almukiminun in his ‘Islam and Science’ slot monthly. Despite having spreading cancer cells in his body, he would remain strong, and could even drive and perform his prayers at the mosque every single prayer time, buying groceries and filling up the fuel at a petrol station nearby. For everyone who knows him, it’s hard to believe that he had a serious cancer despite having a chirpy mood all day long, and looked healthy. It was only earlier this year when his condition deteriorates, he couldn’t drive, but still goes to the mosque where he can. On his 69th birthday last week, he was admitted to Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (HUKM), due to breathing difficulties. He told one of his friends that he’s surviving on a pain killer, and letting it go. He was discharged a day later. That shows that he has been accepting the fate that his sickness is terminal. At last, he loses the battle of cancer this morning, after a year battling with it, with a colorful moment of 69 years of life. Al Fatihah. .."

Malam Kasih Ghazali, 2009 Nov 20 Fri 8 pm, DECTAR, UKM,